Friday, May 13, 2011

Triumph! - part 1

A few days ago, I tried to make sugar cones... with little success... Tonight, I have done it.  At least they seem to be turning out ok.  I still have to coat the insides with chocolate, freeze them add ice cream and chocolate coating... Stay tuned.  Though so far so good.


All lined up - ready for the chocolate coating.


Here's a link to this fantastic recipe: http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/2009/01/tuile-madness-with-daring-bakers.html


4" circles...spread thin

Cooling on the rack...

I didn't add chocolate or food coloring, I was going for really simple on my first go around with a tuile recipe.  For so few ingredients it makes a lot! 

I don't have a silpat mat, I used parchment... over and over. It worked great.  I baked one at a time so I wouldn't let the circles cool too much.  That leads to cracking.  Also, the thinner you can spread out the batter the better but it is a fine balance of not too thin.  I need to figure out how to make the end stay really pointy.  For now, I think I'll just add a lot of chocolate to plug up the end. 

Baking on parchment square
Nifty tool helped to keep them rolled up.



A little pice broke off and it was crunchy and sweet... perfect for the homemade drumsticks.  I may never be able to eat a store bought cone again.  I wonder if I can find a recipe for the cake cones....

While I am waiting for the last of the batter to bake, here's some updated photos:


Birthday Pound Cake for my hubby!  his favorite.  I'm not much of a baker but he seemed to need the extra love.  Allie helped, good thing as she has the baking skills.  It's yummy.  I used the Classic Pound Cake recipe on Food Network.  I didn't measure to see if it called for a pound of all of the ingredients.  Maybe next time.

We have some really long, low loaf pans which made the cake fit the gorgeous french platter we received as a wedding gift.






I've got a quick project I want to complete before dinner tomorrow.  We're having company and our blue tablecloth has seen better days.  I am going to try my hand at fusing some colorful to it and create a design.  I've seen similar things at Anthropologie on pillows... I think I will work on the tablecloth.

I just need to select the fabrics....


Enjoy!
©salmonalley 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment